Personal Insurance Tips For College Students
Many families have one or more children heading off to college. In today’s world, kids take with them to college thousands of dollars of technology, bikes, televisions, and clothes. But, one of the most important things they will need at school is something that doesn’t have to be packed at all – the right insurance coverage. You cannot always count on your children to be responsible when taking care of their valuables. What can happen? Doors can be left unlocked, laptops can get left in the classroom, cars can get broken into, and items can be stolen.
What you need to know
- A “standard homeowner’s insurance” policy does provide some coverage, but it may be limited.
- If your student is enrolled in a college and is living in a different city they would generally be covered under your homeowner’s policy.
- Most homeowner’s policies provide 10 percent, or $1,000, (whichever is greater) of Coverage C (Personal Property) for your property while it is at a secondary residence.
- Your kids would be covered under the liability coverage in your homeowner’s policy.
- If your child is renting a home or apartment with others, you may want to consider a renters policy. The concern is that roommates can create liability for you if their actions cause a loss (parties, drinking, etc). If not insured, you may expose your own liability insurance thus increasing your premiums over time.
- If your student takes a car to college, you need to call our office or your insurance company. Depending on where they attend college, you may have to make changes to meet minimum coverage requirements for that state, which may impact your premiums.
- Children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26. Many colleges will offer student health insurance at a very reasonable cost. This might be a good option.
Slevin Insurance Group is located in Plainfield IL (serving Naperville IL, Oswego IL, Romeoville, Lockport, Chicago, etc.) and is independently owned and locally operated to handle your insurance needs. We believe that local insurance agencies can best serve your insurance needs. As your local insurance agency, we will assist you in finding just the right combination of tailored, personalized insurance coverage at just the right price.