Spring Brings the Need for Safety
Now that the weather is changing, many of us are heading outside to have some fun or start the home improvement projects that we have been planning for all winter. However, before the outdoor fun begins, please remember to do it safely. Every year, more than 60,000 people are treated in emergency rooms for lawn-mower injuries.
Stay Safe While Having Fun
As you plan your spring activities, remember these safety tips:
- If you are going on a bike ride, be sure to wear a helmet. Verify that the helmet sits level on top of the head–not rocking in any direction–and always fasten the safety strap.
- When using a barbecue grill, always be sure to leave sufficient space between the grill and your home’s siding and eaves.
- Keep children and pets far away from the grill.
- With gas grills, be sure that the hose connection is tight and check hoses carefully for leaks.
- If you own a pool, install a pool alarm to detect accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water. Always have an adult in the area when children are using the pool. Limit use of alcohol when enjoying your pool.
- It is a good idea to do a safety inspection on all play structures, including tree houses. Inspect play structures for sharp screws, bolts, or nails. Make sure the swing set is on a level area and the legs are properly anchored.
- Do not leave tools or sharp objects in the back yard.
Stay Safe While Completing Work Projects
- Spring is a good time to complete an inspection of all motorized equipment to make sure they are in good working order.
- Always wear protective eye gear, shoes, and long pants when using gardening power tools to protect your eyes, legs, and feet from flying rocks and debris.
- Never start your projects when you are tired. Fatigue can cause severe injuries with accidental slippage while using a dangerous power tool.
- If you are digging around your yard, verify that there are no electrical or gas lines in the area.
- Remember that your body may not be used to heat, so if it is hot be careful not to get dehydrated or even heat stroke. Hydrate yourself on a regular basis.
Our agency is committed to providing clients with the highest quality insurance plans available combined with some of the lowest possible rates. Whether you are shopping for auto insurance, home insurance, life or business insurance, we can help you obtain the best coverage available with the lowest rate possible.
Slevin Insurance Group is located in Plainfield IL (serving Naperville IL, Oswego IL, Romeoville, Lockport, Chicago, etc.) and is independently owned and locally operated to handle your insurance needs. We believe that local insurance agencies can best serve your insurance needs. As your local insurance agency, we will assist you in finding just the right combination of tailored, personalized insurance coverage at just the right price.
We invite you to complete an online quote or call us to review coverage options for auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance, health insurance, business insurance, commercial insurance, renters insurance, boat insurance, and more. We provide free, no hassle and no obligation quotes to let you see what we have to offer.